top of page

Inside Look: What It's Really Like Attending a UK Inland Border Facility

Updated: 7 days ago

Get a look inside the UK Inland Border Facility: An Eye-Opening Experience

Inland border facilities are sites owned by the UK government that are used for customs and document checks.

These facilities are located away from port locations.

For hauliers who move goods in and out of the UK under the Common Transit Convention (CTC), the facilities act as a government office of departure (for outbound journeys) and a government office of destination (for inbound journeys).

In addition to Transit, the facilities can also be used for ATA Carnets, TIR Carnets, and Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) checks.

Before you go to an inland border facility

  1. Check what services are offered at each of our inland border facilities, not all inland border facilities carry out the same functions.

  2. Check how busy an inland border facility is before leaving for your journey.

  3. Book in to attend an inland border facility — booking in will mean we should be able to deal with you more quickly.

Traders who use an Authorised Consignor or Consignee (ACC) do not need to go to an inland border facility.

They can start and end the transit movement of goods at their own premises.

However, if they are arriving at the Port of Dover, Eurotunnel or Holyhead and they are moving goods under the Common Transit Convention, and they are not using the services of an ACC to start or end their transit movements, or they have been instructed to report to a site for those goods to be checked, then they will need to attend an inland border facility.

Traders must follow instructions about whether they need to get their goods checked by customs on arrival or if they’re able to continue their journey.

They should use their goods movement reference number in the ‘check if you need to report for an inspection’ service to understand if their goods are held. If an inspection is required, they must check which inspection site they need to attend at their border location. They will need to attend an inland border facility unless they hold an existing commercial agreement.

In some cases, traders may also be stopped by Border Force officers within the port to have checks performed on their vehicle or load. If this happens, they must still attend an inland border facility to complete customs functions if they have received instructions to do so. They may be liable to pay a penalty of up to £2,500 if they fail to follow HMRC instructions.

Authorised Consignor or Consignee (ACC)

Traders do not need to come to an inland border facility if they have an empty vehicle, are travelling in and out of the UK by other ports, are using the services of an Authorised Consignor or Consignee (ACC), or are using other (non-Common Transit Convention) import or export procedures to move their goods in or out of the UK.

Border Ready

To be "border ready", traders must prepare before they reach Kent ports. If they’re crossing the Channel through the Eurotunnel or the Port of Dover, they must check that their heavy goods vehicle (HGV) is ready to cross the border. If they need to use an inland border facility and are coming to Kent from elsewhere, they should get ready before arriving in Kent. They should attend the inland border facility at Sevington to get ready.


Traders who travel to Holyhead should get ready before they travel. They can use an authorised consignor or consignee to start or end their transit movement. They can check for more information on getting ready for Welsh ports on the website.


Traders will need to bring all relevant paperwork in relation to their movement.


For Common Transit Convention movements, they will need to get the local reference number (LRN) from their agent or freight forwarder for every consignment, either all the export declaration references and include this in a goods movement reference, or a master unique consignment reference (if there is one) in writing.

They will then need to show the LRN and either all the export declaration references in a goods movement reference, or a master unique consignment reference in writing, at the office of departure to get a transit accompanying document (TAD).

To end a movement at an office of destination, traders will need to present the TAD and provide the movement reference number (MRN) for every consignment. If they’re a trader using an office of destination at an inland border facility, they should make sure that import entries are submitted and have arrived by the time the goods reach the office of destination. If they’re a driver attending an office of destination, they should have details of the customs entries for the consignments they’re carrying (for example, entry numbers and dates). Goods without arrived import entries will need temporary storage. If they’re a driver attending an inland border facility with goods that need temporary storage, they may have to use an alternative facility at their own expense. Inland border facilities cannot be used for commercial storage.

ATA Carnet

For both inbound and outbound ATA Carnet movements, traders will need to present the ATA Carnet documents for each consignment.


For both inbound and outbound CITES movements, traders will need to present a CITES permit for each consignment.

What to do when attending an inland border facility Sevington inland border facility Holyhead inland border facility Check if there are any delays at the inland border facility your attending, or if it’s full or closed


4-In-1 Support Services: How to get more support

1. Customs & Global Trade Updates (Fee Subscription):

2. Customs & Global Trade Consultancy & Advice (Free First Call):

3. Customs & Global Trade Training & Education:

4. Compliant & efficient UK Customs Clearance:

Connect with us on socials


X: @customsmanager


Get in Touch

· Website:

· E-Mail:

About Customs Manager’s Customs & Global Trade Intelligence Services

The Premium Professional Legislative Monitoring Service (PLM) is a research and curation service which checks for legislative updates from official government websites based on the selected jurisdictions and topics. Paid Plan subscribers can access regular law change notifications to ensure they never miss a significant legal change on – a website dedicated to customs & trade intelligence. At the same time, they save valuable time by engaging our dedicated trade specialists to carry the monitoring out for them. Premium subscribers also unlock all content on the Customs Manager’s Ltd. website, including our Customs & Trade Blog on , providing vital thought leadership development services to empower them to trade effectively, efficiently and, of course, compliantly, across borders. Premium Subscribers can add jurisdictions and topics for an additional charge.

About Customs Manager Ltd.

We aim to empower people with import, export and transport responsibilities with helpful advice, insightful training and relevant trade intelligence services. We devote all our passion and energy to helping businesses grow faster cross-border. Working with us means having your own multilingual Customs Manager on standby to help you trade effectively, efficiently and, of course, compliantly wherever you want to go. Includes Brexit support and the ability to lodge customs declarations and making sense of rules of origin, customs classification and customs valuation to make but a few.

Important Notice

Customs Manager Ltd. owns the copyright in this document, except for external documents and links we refer to or make available.

You are not allowed to use this information in any way that infringes its intellectual property rights. You may have to hold a valid licence to use this information. A licence can be obtained by becoming a Paid Plan subscriber to the Customs Managers’ Customs & Trade Intelligence service, also known as Professional Legislative Monitoring (PLM). As a Paid Plan subscriber, you may download and print this information which you may then use, copy or reproduce for your internal non-profit-making purposes. However, you are not permitted to use, copy or reproduce this information to profit or gain. In addition, you must not sell or distribute this information to third parties, not members of your organisation, whether for monetary payment or otherwise. This information is intended to serve as general guidance and not constitute legal advice. The application and impact of laws can vary widely based on the specific facts involved. This information should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional legal or other competent advisers. Before making any decision or taking action, consult a Customs Manager Ltd. professional.

In no circumstances will Customs Manager Ltd be liable for any decision made or action taken in reliance on the information contained within this document or for any consequential, special or similar damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages..

2 views0 comments
bottom of page