top of page

New EU SPS Export Health Certificates: What businesses need to know

(FREE) Completing Jan 2022 EU veterinary certificates can be tricky, but food traders can master this with these insights.

A major stumbling block in the EU-UK trade relationship at present is the SPS control at EU ports and the correct issuance of the right Export Health Certificates. We explain what SPS controls are, what they say in the EU-UK TCA, what you need to be aware of and what the role systems like TRACES, PEACH and IPAFFS play.

What are SPS controls?

Sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures are measures to protect humans, animals, and plants from diseases, pests, or contaminants. The European Union’s and the UK's legislation lays down a detailed set of these rules to reduce or eliminate the possible risks of animal, plant and public health threats as well as animal and plant diseases being introduced into the EU or UK by goods coming from non-EU/UK countries.

Consequences of SPS import controls

  • Checks are carried out systematically, usually at the first point of entry into the EU or the UK.

  • Checks will be conducted in specific inspection facilities

  • UK agri-food suppliers must have valid health certificates and vice versa.

But there is a trade agreement EU and the UK

Provisions for agriculture, agri-food, fisheries and forestry sectors are limited in the Agreement. This means that companies will NOT be exempt from sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) border controls. Amongst other aspects, the EU and the UK ...

...reaffirm and where appropriate go beyond WTO SPS Agreement (SPS + elements) to ensure SPS requirements do not entail disproportionate obstacles to trade;

  • Ensure transparency on SPS requirements;

  • Establish cooperation in areas of common interest;

  • Possibility to adopt emergency and provisional measures.

  • Committee to implement aspects of the Chapter, discuss concerns and review Parties’ SPS measures;

In other words...

Parties establish unilaterally their import requirements and procedures.

Regulation on official controls in the EU and the UK

This means that practically, the principal EU rule for official controls to be carried out in order to ensure compliance with feed and food law, animal health and animal welfare rules remains to be the Regulation (EC) No 882/2004, as amended. Chapter V of this Regulation (Article 14 to 25) particularly deals with controls on food and feed introduced from third countries.

In the UK, the law is the Official Controls (Animals, Feed and Food, Plant Health Fees etc.) Regulations 2019.

What is POAO and what do we consider live animals and products of animal origin to be?

  • Aquaculture Products

  • Fresh Meat

  • Game Meat

  • Meat Products

  • Milk & Milk Products

  • Poultry Meat

  • Other Products of Animal Origin

Other products of animal origin for products for human consumption may not benefit from harmonized EU rules.

They include eggs, honey and royal jelly, snails, frogs' legs, blood and blood products, bone, animal casing, lard and rendered fat and gelatine.

What is an export health certificate and when do I need it?

An export health certificate (EHC) is an official document that confirms your export meets the health requirements of the destination country. You must apply for an EHC if you’re exporting or moving live animals or animal products from Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales to, or through:

  • the EU

  • non-EU countries

  • Northern Ireland (NI)

You’ll also need a transit EHC to transit through an EU country.

Be Aware

  • Please ensure you select the correct certificate for your movement

  • Please take extra care to complete the certificate in the required manner.

  • EHC need to be correctly completed in all its particulars.

  • Unfortunately, errors can easily occur due to extensive legal requirements. Accuracy controls at the EU border are very strict, no errors are permissible at all.

  • Errors cause delays and increase the risk of non-compliance. The result could be the severe hold-up, refusal of entry and destruction of your products.

Getting it wrong should be avoided at all costs

It is, therefore, paramount that you ensure that you check that all EHCs are accurate in all particulars and carry the necessary stamps from the official veterinarian at all different places, where required. Please note: Only once you can ascertain that the EHC is duly completed, stamped and signed in all EU languages required, may you wish to give it to the driver for the transport of the SPS goods to the border.

Register for TRACES and IPAFFS

The EU Trade Control and Expert System (TRACES) is an EU online system for health certification and tracking consignments of animals or animal products coming into or out of the UK. Use the Import of products, animals, food and feed system (IPAFFS) to notify about imports of live animals, animal products and high-risk food and feed not of animal origin into Great Britain.

TRACES is required for:

  • the importation of animals, animal products, food and some feed of non-animal origin and plants into the European Union, and,

  • internal EU trade and EU exports of animals and certain animal products

  • Trading in animals or certain animal products from outside the EU, may require you to notify the EU Border Inspection Post (BIP).

  • This is done in TRACES by the mandatory completion of Common Health Entry Documents (CHED).

Use IPAFFS to notify the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) about imports from EU and EEA countries, excluding Iceland. This includes:

  • live animals

  • germinal products

  • products of animal origin (POAO) under safeguard measures

  • high-risk ABP

  • The EEA includes EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

You do not have to notify APHA of POAO coming into GB from the EU unless there’s a safeguard measure in place until 1 October 2021.

You do not have to notify about high-risk food or feed not of animal origin (HRFNAO) coming into GB from the EU until 1 October 2021.


We urge all exporters and importers of SPS goods to understand the necessary requirements and obtain the necessary registrations, licences and permits ahead of time to avoid delays and disruption, as far as not yet done. Training in SPS Export & Import Controls can assist you in fulfilling all requirements and sourcing the right health certificates.

Training on SPS measures (German version available, too)

Join our next training to learn

  • What are SPS regulations?

  • POAO Products

  • Import requirements

  • Export requirements

  • Export Health Certificates

  • What happens at the border?

  • SPS-Agreement of the WTO

  • What about SPS measures in the EU-UK TCA?

  • EU import requirements for food of animal origin

  • UK import requirements for food of animal origin

  • Traces, IPAFFS and other systems explained.

  • Hosted and delivered by Arne Mielken

  • Certificate of Attendance or Completion (Quiz)

  • Full slide deck

Customs Manager Ltd. offers dedicated SPS training to help you become an SPS Pro, learn how to issue health certificates correctly and use the required IT system efficiently.

Book here:

Also in German:



We offer an IPAFFS Pre-notification and EHC Filing Service. Contact us to find out more


17 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page